Students regressing is an inevitable consequence of the pandemic and, in turn, fuels demands for online tutoring jobs.
Online tutoring jobs are a rapidly growing segment in the world of education, and it is easy to join in and excel as an online tutor. From language learning to test pep, these are just some of the best opportunities for tutors searching for online jobs now.
Because of technological advances, online tutoring is becoming more common. Online tutoring jobs are incredibly satisfying because they allow you to support others while also giving you the freedom to spend more time with your family.
Who is an Online Tutor?
Do you have some knowledge in a particular field, computer, and Internet access? Why not become an online tutor teaching adult, college students, or even kids working at your comfort from anywhere in the world.
An online tutor is a person who works with students through the Internet. It could be via chat support, videoconferencing, and voice calls. They share their knowledge and coach students in a particular subject.
Although online tutoring jobs can have flexible hours or scheduled meetings, most of them are always one-on-one tutoring.
Online Tutoring Jobs Qualifications
While most online tutoring jobs do not require a formal qualification or degree, they necessitate some level of experience and education.
Some online tutoring jobs are open to current college students, but others require a bachelor’s degree and prior tutoring experience.
Tutoring in some fields, such as English, can necessitate additional specialized certifications.
Individual work requirements differ, but even entry-level tutoring positions typically may require some university experience.
Tutors are also sometimes required to have a bachelor’s degree, though not typically a teaching degree and some are necessary to have previous tutoring experience.
Field experience may be preferred for higher-level or technical subjects.
How Much Do Online Tutoring Jobs Pay?
Online tutoring jobs pay differently than conventional tutoring jobs. Online tutors typically charge between $14 and $25 per hour, depending on expertise and demand level.
Tutors may set their prices on a few sites, but it is vital to stay competitive to attract potential customers.
13 Best Places to Find Online Tutoring Jobs
The online tutoring age is here, which creates various opportunities for helping students excel in class, thus creating numerous opportunities for online tutoring. Below, please see the list of places where you can find the best online tutoring jobs available for applicants to explore:
Magic Ears is a cutting-edge online Learning English network for students aged 4 to 12. Their goal is to provide each child with a global classroom experience and the absolute best online tutoring jobs for instructors.
Magic Ears set itself apart from other online ESL companies with their unique 1v4 model, no monthly minimum hours, and the company books the classes for you – no need to market yourself!
Each class lasts 25 minutes, you may never see the same student twice (for real), and Magic Ears expects you to teach with passion and engage with your students. A six-month contract and a bachelor’s degree (or current enrollment) are needed.
Teachers work a flexible schedule and get to set their hours. Teachers can earn up to $24 per hour on their first contract, depending on qualifications.
- The pay is considerably higher compared to other online tutoring sites.
- Lucrative even for beginners.
- Getting the first job and signing up is not complex.
- No strict cancellation policy.
- Excellent support system.
- Limited to specific time zones, thus putting other students and tutors off.
VIPKID has over 100,000 teachers, over 800,000 students, and more than 5,000,000 classes each month. It is an excellent place to be an English tutor to children.
The qualifications to be a tutor include two years of teaching experience, a Bachelor’s degree, Canadian or US legal work authorization, six months commitment contract, and reliable technology.
- Experienced teachers can earn a good amount of money.
- Tutors earn bonuses and incentives for more hours of teaching.
- Plenty of tutoring job opportunities.
- Extremely competitive interview process.
SayABC is a Chinese company that teaches English to children aged 5 to 12. The business, based in Beijing, conducts one to four online classes taught by qualified teachers. For people applying, the onboarding process is quick.
The contract term is valid for three months, but you can extend the contract after it expires.
- It has a great interactive program.
- Encourages diversity of tutors from different backgrounds
- A friendly support system.
- A tutor must complete a lesson within 40 minutes.
Preply is an excellent place to learn languages teaching non-native speakers students. Tutors promote their services by using good reviews and enhanced online profiles. Tutors are not required to have any formal credentials.
Tutors need to be passionate about teaching, according to the website. Candidates have the option of setting their hourly rate for their services.
Preply’s primary service is language tutoring, but tutors can also help with a wide range of subjects.
- The company has great flexibility and support.
- They have tutors for almost every major language.
- You can work toward a massive pool of clientele.
- Easy to navigate website.
- They are a 100% commission fee of every new student’s first lesson fees.
- Large commission varying from 33 to 18%.
If you wish to work for this company as an online tutor, you can access open positions on their online job board. Online teaching, writing assistance, and resume reviews are all available.
The top priority is to assist learners in obtaining decent education or career progressing. Pearson Smarthinking is searching for online tutors with advanced degrees, such as PhDs, master’s degrees, or other advanced credentials.
They believe that the additional experience will allow you to join their diverse and dynamic educators.
- Convenient schedule.
- It is unique for specialty disciplines, not offered by other tutoring companies, such as nursing tutoring.
- They offer PreK-12 and higher learning education.
- Flexible tutor schedule.
- Strict experience requirements.
Tutors give services in a variety of subjects through Chegg. Online profile ranking and credibility will help you attract clients. It allows you to receive more money by receiving positive reviews from students.
All prospective employees must have prior teaching or tutoring experience. A competency exam is a must if you want to provide services in a particular subject field.
The subjects covered range from Astrophysics to Voice Lessons.
- Available for beginners and students.
- One is capable of selecting favorite subjects.
- The more experienced, the more money you can make.
- It is open to students at different levels.
- The pay may be too low for some.
They are a plethora of online tutoring opportunities on Tutor.com. You can work part-time, full-time, or only to supplement your income. Although each tutoring role’s standards and qualifications differ, there are few steps you must take to become a licensed tutor.
You will need a high school diploma, tutoring training, membership in a tutoring association, tutoring certification, and licensure.
- GED is the only requirement.
- Tutor.com is one of the largest if not the largest.
- They have a lot of good reviews which can transform to more clients.
- They are committed to hiring military spouses as tutors.
- Reputable with lots of good testimonials from tutors and students alike.
- Hard to get clients for tutors with no reviews.
K12 mainly deals with children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Students may get help from their tutors over the Internet, online meeting, or even in person.
You will need a transcript, teaching credential, performance ratings, state appraisal data, and a reference letter for applying for a teaching position in science.
They have five available subjects for you to teach, namely Social studies, Math, English Science and World Languages.
- A great support system
- Decent pay for their tutors
- Not so ideal for the beginners
In TutorMe, there are over 300 different subjects to teach your students. As a tutor can teach anything from mathematics, business, python to the piano. Simply fill out an application and satisfy their criteria.
After that, you will be paired with students and given the task of making lesson plans. TutorMe is an excellent resource for discovering online tutoring opportunities.
When applying to be a tutor, tutoring experience, subjects’ mastery, a degree, or currently enrolled at a University and must be over 18.
- Fast and easy signup.
- The website links the tutors with the students.
- Their rating determines the pay; the higher the rating, the higher the pay.
- Tutors are paid weekly.
- The overall score is affected by the two-way rating system.
- Low starting pay rate compared with other online tutoring companies.
PrepNow tutoring can have a job for you if you want to help students to improve their grades.
You can teach children from the comfort of your own home using cutting-edge technology. Joining as a tutor, you need to have two years of tutoring and a degree. Besides, you must be available for 6 hours on nights and weekends.
- They are committed to their tutoring schedules.
- It pays well and relatively stable.
- Tutors get to set their own rates.
- Higher experience and education level requirement when compared with other companies.
- The schedule is less flexible.
Study.com has many different online jobs to choose from, and each one can have its own set of requirements.
The Academic Expert position, for example, includes English proficiency as well as knowledge of science, history, social science, psychology, and the humanities.
- A well reputable company.
- Excellent assessment tools.
- Great for students who want to improve their grades.
- It is a bit broad with a variety of disciplines.
- Tons of lessons.
- Not suitable for beginners.
Tutapoint.com collaborates with tutors from all over the United States to provide the best learning experience to students.
They collaborate with licensed and retired teachers, professors, teaching assistants, and others to achieve a high education level.
- The online tutoring company is well known.
- Flexible tutor hours.
- Curriculum for all grade levels.
- A more in-depth application process.
- High tutor standard.
Over 5 million Chinese students use Boxfish to learn English. Boxfish offers course materials and the ability to teach on-demand or scheduled courses to groups of one to four students.
The site charges $10 per 25-minute session, for a total of up to $20 per hour. With a high-speed internet connection, you can teach using a computer, laptop, or smartphone.
To be a Boxfish tutor, you should have a bachelor’s degree and have g an English native speaker. A teaching certificate in English is not mandatory, but it is a plus.
- No time zone restrictions for tutors.
- Tutors control their working schedules.
- A great support system.
- Prior working experience needed.
The Difference Between an Online Tutor and an Online Teacher
The question is, would an online tutor or online teacher be the best option for you?
Let’s talk about the difference. To some, this may seem obvious. An online teacher is required to present a specific curriculum to the student. A teacher must find ways to engage students and present material to them in the best possible way by adapting their teaching styles to the needs of the students.
An online tutor is meant to provide extra help in subjects and concepts a student may be struggling in. Online tutors are also typically available to help students study for specific tests.
This is common in high school and college, where the ACT or MCAT can be challenging. The teacher is the main instructor, while the tutor plays a supporting role.
In terms of pay, online tutoring is usually part-time and allows for schedule flexibility. Rates vary on location, subject, and experience. Online teaching is more likely to be a full-time job that pays a salary in accordance with district standards.
Overall, both online tutoring and online teaching are fulfilling jobs. They are also great ways to get extra support now more than ever.
Online tutoring is gaining popularity among parents, learners, and tutors as a result of technological innovation. Providing educational services has been easier with the freedom to set timetables and tutoring subjects.
Online education is a great way to supplement your income. It does, however, necessitate that you have an interest in and a desire to support others. If you are one of those who find fulfillment in helping others succeed in education, look into your choices in the online tutoring arena and grow your passion while earning some income.