Teaching English online – that is, conversational or business English – as a second language has always been a great opportunity for English speakers without formal teaching experience.
Your native understanding of idioms and natural turns of phrase is exactly what many international students need to improve their English use. In our increasingly global world, the need for English tutors is growing – which is great news for you!
In general, the requirements for being an ESL(English as Secondary Language) tutor revolve around being a native English speaker who is personable, interesting, and has great presentation skills. Some companies require you to have ESL certification or a teaching certificate in a related field.
The other requirements are practical concerns – most of these tutoring positions require video contact with your students, so you should have a good computer, high-speed internet connection, webcam, and a quiet, well-lit home office. You can do this full-time, part-time or if you’re a teacher, this will make a fantastic summer job.
Many of these companies have their own curricula and teaching systems in place, so you don’t need to plan your own lessons. These positions can also be great if you’re up at odd hours, since working with overseas may mean working very early or rather later – especially since many of these students come from China, Korea, and Japan.
I’ve put together two great companies here who are looking for ESL tutors; there’s sure to be an opportunity for you below!
According to their site, Magic Ears strive to provide quality English lessons to Chinese students aged 5-12 while also providing their teachers with the opportunity to grow within the organization.
From all accounts (more on what the teachers think later), Magic Ears has a quality online teaching platform, an abundance of students looking for lessons and a great training/feedback for their teachers. This makes them a solid alternative to anyone looking for an option other than the online teaching incumbents of VIP Kid and DаDаABC.
What Are the Teaching Requirements for Magic Ears?
Compared to other teaching companies, the teaching requirements for Magic Ears are pretty easy to meet:
- Native speaker from USA or Canada; This means that yes – you can teach for Magic Ears without a degree or experience! Here’s the catch: they do prioritize their applicants, so to stand out with no degree, you really need to wow them in your demo (more on this later). There are also technical requirements to be aware of.
- Make sure you always have good illumination, a clean and kid-friendly background, and a quiet environment; This is the biggest one as they are known sticklers for your teaching environment- they want to see a headset (check out our recs here), no shadows (invest in a good lamp), and colorful background.
- Please prepare a strong, stable, and plugged in cable internet; The minimum requirement for both download and upload speed is 10Mbps: the Magic Ears platform is pretty heavy on the bandwidth use so internet is a big deal – they will mention lags, freezes, or dropped classes and insist you move from wifi to a wired connection.
- Processor: CPU i5 4th Generation and at least 4GB of Memory.
What Do Magic Ears Pay?
For the sake of simplicity, let’s use the class rate to discuss how much you can make teaching at Magic Ears.
- Base Rate: based on your credentials (remember what we said about having a degree and experience?) you will receive $9-$11 out of the gate.
- Participation: if you arrive at each class at least 8 minutes early, you will receive an extra $1 per every class
- Peak Time: if you open your schedule to more than 60 classes per month, you will receive an extra $1 per every class
- Performance: Magic Ears evaluates its teachers quarterly and you will be eligible for an undisclosed bonus if they are happy with your teaching.
So, how much can you make with Magic Ears? Let’s do some math:
Let’s say your base rate is $10 per class, you teach 100 class per month, and you’re 10 minutes early to half of those classes. For that month, you’d make $1000 for the classes($10 x 100 classes), $100 peak time bonus ($1 x 100 classes) and $50 for participation ($1 x 50 classes) for a total of $1150, or $23 per hour.
VIP Kid is a teaching platform for Chinese kids that are looking to learn English. The English is taught over this platform by individual teachers, who are able to work online when they went and however much they want(to a degree).
The pay is pretty good for VIP Kid but the requirements for the job are a little more strict than some of the other ESL platforms available that you might be able to teach on.
Requirements for VIP Kid
In order for you to be accepted as a teacher for VIP Kid, you will first need to have K-12 teaching experience in either USA or Canada. They don’t specifically tell you how much experience you need so there is nothing else to say here.
You will need a bachelor’s degree. The field of degree does not matter. As long as you have one you are good to go.
When it comes to the equipment you are going to need a laptop or desktop computer, a headset, a microphone, and a high-speed internet connection.
Also, when you apply you will have to sign a contract for 6 months of work
More About the Job
Ok, so as a teacher here, you will be teaching for 30-minute lessons. There will be about 25 minutes worth of real teaching and the remaining is for Q 7amp; A. One of the great things about this is that you will not need to prepare your own materials for the lesson. VIP Kids does that for you. However, it is important to review the materials beforehand. And you don’t have to teach 100% of the material provided. A good teacher will make it more fun and add things here & there.
The kids that you teach will range from 4-12 years old and the lessons taught will be one on one
As a teacher, you must be available for at least 7.5 hours per week. But just because you set a certain amount of available time doesn’t mean you will get it filled with teaching.
In соnсluѕіоn, VIP Kіd іѕ a good opportunity аnd dеfіnіtеlу not a ѕсаm fоr all those wоndеrіng thіѕ. It’s also a gооd орроrtunіtу if you аrе lооkіng to mаkе good mоnеу or аrе lооkіng fоr a reliable ѕоurсе to boost your іnсоmе. It аll соmеѕ dоwn tо whаt уоu are lооkіng for.
If уоu are lооkіng to ѕuррlеmеnt уоur іnсоmе іn уоur оff tіmе аnd think you wіll hаvе fun teaching Englіѕh to Chinese kіdѕ then go fоr іt and apply here.
Is Teaching English Online for you?
The pay is usually well above the minimum wage and because tutors can work from home, transportation costs and child care costs are usually not an issue. The job can be done from anywhere with a good internet connection, making it an ideal occupation for travelers. The tutoring is often quite rewarding as well. Assisting another in learning a useful skill and watching them develop that skill is a very satisfying thing to do. The students are generally enthusiastic and well-behaved.
While not for every one, English online tutoring can be a lucrative and rewarding occupation and anyone with the necessary skills and education may seriously want to consider this option.